The first standards-compliant, freely redistributable Java SE 8 container on Docker
September 23, 2014
Azul Systems Inc. (Azul), the award-winning leader in Java runtime solutions, today announced that its OpenJDK-based Zulu 8 offering is now freely available on Docker. Zulu 8 is a 100% open source, fully tested, compatibility verified, and trusted binary distribution of the OpenJDK 8 platform. Azul has also made Zulu versions compliant with earlier Java SE 7 and Java SE 6 standards available on Docker in the same format.
Docker is an open platform designed to enable the rapid development and deployment of distributed applications. Each “Dockerized” application is containerized and completely portable and can be run on any server or easily integrated with other Docker containers. As of mid-September 2014 the company had reported 21 million downloads.
Jay Lyman, Senior Analyst, Enterprise Software at 451 Research, said: “Docker and containerization are taking the enterprise IT world by storm as a better way to package, deploy and move applications, but there is still a lot of work required to make Docker enterprise-ready in terms of security, scale and management. Support for Java SE 8 on Docker is a step in the right direction, giving enterprise Docker users some of the security, stability and compliance assurances they expect.”
Scott Sellers, CEO of Azul Systems, said: “Docker is rapidly changing the IT landscape in terms of how Cloud and on-premise applications are delivered, run and managed. With Zulu on Docker, Java programmers and DevOps benefit from free access to a proven and certified Java development kit and runtime, based on the 100% open source OpenJDK, which can be freely redistributed to others via the Docker hub registry.”
For more information about Docker and Zulu Docker files, visit http://registry.hub.docker.com and search on the keyword Zulu.
Azul’s Zulu is a build of OpenJDK that is aimed at companies who prefer a fully open source toolchain or who have key applications running on Java and need cost-effective, high-quality ongoing support across multiple major releases of Java. Zulu offers the following advantages to enterprises and Java programmers and DevOps personnel:
- Completely free, 100% open source, commercially-supported version of OpenJDK verified with the OpenJDK Java Compatibility Kit (JCK) for Java SE 8, 7, and 6;
- Runs on Windows Server, Windows, Mac OS X, and multiple Linux distributions, including Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SuSE Linux Enterprise Server, CentOS and Ubuntu;
- Integrated with Microsoft OpenTech’s Azure plug-in for Eclipse Java tooling;
- Cloud-ready – supported on the Microsoft Azure Cloud, Amazon AWS, Rackspace, and other public and private cloud platforms;
- Fully supports virtualized deployments using VMware, Hyper-V and KVM and within Docker containers;
- Enterprise support options available via Zulu Enterprise (Premium support offering including ten-year support lifespan) plus community support via the Zulu Community Forum.
To learn more about Zulu and engage with other members of the Java community, join the Zulu Community atwww.azulsystems.com/forums.
About Azul Systems
Azul Systems, the industry’s only company exclusively focused on Java and the Java Virtual Machine (JVM), builds fully supported, standards-compliant Java runtime solutions that help enable the real time business. Zing is a JVM designed for enterprise Java applications and workloads that require any combination of low latency, high transaction rates, large working memory, and/or consistent response times. Zulu is Azul’s freely available open source JVM based on OpenJDK, and Azul provides high-quality commercial support options with its Zulu Enterprise offering. For additional information, visit: www.azul.com.