Ships Zing™ 5.0 - The Industry's only JVM Specifically Architected and Optimized for Linux
November 8, 2011
Gartner ITxpo, Barcelona, Spain and Sunnyvale, Calif., November 8, 2011 – Azul Systems, the award-winning leader in Java runtime scalability, today announced the general availability of Zing 5.0, the most scalable Java Virtual Machine (JVM) for enterprise Java workloads. Zing 5.0 is the only JVM that breaks the memory scalability barrier and delivers guaranteed predictability and pauseless execution for Java applications, while achieving the highest sustained throughput in the industry. With Zing 5.0, Azul leverages its proven heritage in runtime scalability to eliminate the most critical scalability issues for enterprise Java workloads.
The Zing JVM is a pure software implementation specifically architected and optimized for Linux and x86-based servers, and is the only JVM that supports application instances exceeding 512 GBs of memory with pauseless operation. As a result, organizations can dramatically simplify Java deployments with fewer instances, while achieving greater response time consistency and dramatically lowering operating costs.
With Zing 5.0 enterprises can more effectively leverage the capacity of today’s powerful commodity x86 servers to address key enterprise initiatives. For SaaS applications Zing supports 3X higher user density as measured by customer in-house benchmarks. For distributed caching and in-memory data stores, Zing sustains a 5.7X greater throughput (ops/sec) based upon the Yahoo! Cloud Serving Benchmark. For portals and ecommerce workloads Zing carries 18X more concurrent users while simultaneously improving response times by 7X.
“The Zing JVM could help solve the scalability problems that have held back Java for the past 15 years,” said John Abbott, chief analyst at 451 Research (a division of The 451 Group). “It’s likely to prove a visible and important contribution to the success of enterprise Java deployments and mission-critical Linux-based applications.”
“Our customers are leading global enterprise organizations that rely on Apptio’s SaaS-based Technology Business Management services to power insights and decisions by processing large-scale financial and operational data, “commented Mark Jancola, vice president of Engineering, Apptio, Inc. “With the Zing JVM, we can effectively use five times more application memory and deliver more consistent response times under unpredictable loads.”
“We developed a highly scalable SaaS-based recruiting management application, that had to be responsive, even under load” said Adam Crow, Technical Director, DC123 Pty Ltd. “Only the Zing JVM allowed us to load more tenants onto a server than what HotSpot could support and Zing also kept response times consistent. Now we have confidence that our systems can scale appropriately without breaking a sweat.”
Zing 5.0 JVM Features and Benefits for Java Applications:
- Superior responsiveness, scale and throughput — Zing eliminates common Java scalability limitations such as Garbage Collection pauses and enables Java application instances to dynamically and reliably scale to dozens of CPU cores and hundreds of gigabytes of memory, enabling unmatched application response time consistency, capacity, and sustained throughput.
- Linux memory management optimization — Zing supports very high memory allocation rates far above those of traditional JVMs running on current-generation Linux systems. The ability to rapidly manipulate internal memory data structures within the JVM allows Linux-based applications to deliver greater throughput to end-user applications.
- 100 percent Java-compatible — Zing is a 100 percent Java-compatible JVM based on the Oracle HotSpot JVM. The Zing JVM is simple to install and requires no changes to the application code or operating system.
- Improved application availability and infrastructure elasticity — Individual Zing instances can automatically scale up and down both memory and CPU resources based on real-time demands to achieve required response time and availability metrics, even under extreme loads.
- Simplified deployments and manageability — With Zing’s unique ability to utilize larger, more elastic JVMs, enterprises are able to reduce Java instance counts by 90 percent for the same sustained application throughput, response time and availability. In addition, the Zing Vision always-on, production visibility tool allows administrators to diagnose application problems seamlessly in production, reducing tuning iterations and shortening development life cycles.
“For the first time companies and application developers have a choice in JVMs for commodity platforms. Zing 5.0 overcomes traditional Java tradeoffs improving key performance and scalability metrics at the same time,” said Gil Tene, CTO and co-founder, Azul Systems. “Over the last year we’ve overcome the core issues behind traditional Java limitations on commodity and mainstream Linux server platforms, furthering our lead in Java innovation for the enterprise. With Zing 5.0 we’re providing the best JVM for enterprise deployments on Linux and x86.”
Zing 5.0 is now generally available. Pricing is based on an annual subscription per server. Customers can request a trial copy at www.azulsystems.com/zing/trial.
About Azul Systems
Azul Systems delivers high performance and elastic Java Virtual Machines (JVMs) with unsurpassed scalability, manageability, and production-time visibility. Designed and optimized for x86 servers and enterprise-class workloads, Azul’s Zing JVM is the only Java runtime that supports highly consistent and pauseless execution for throughput-intensive and QoS-sensitive Java applications. Azul’s products enable organizations to dramatically simplify Java deployments with fewer instances, greater response time consistency, and dramatically better operating costs.