Azul product releases align with Oracle’s and OpenJDK’s general availability for releases of Java SE. Azul customers have access to bug fixes, enhancements, and quarterly and emergency security updates.
Azul’s commercial product releases are designated with one of two different support lifecycles: Long Term Support (LTS) and Medium Term Support (MTS)
- Releases designated as LTS are the same LTS releases as designated by Oracle and the OpenJDK community. For LTS releases, Azul provides at least 8 years of access to bug fixes, security updates, and other (“Production Support”) fixes as needed plus 2 years of additional support intended to assist migration to a newer JDK version (“Extended Support”).
- For those releases designed as MTS, Azul provides Production Support for at least 1.5 years after the general availability of the next LTS release, plus an additional 1 year of Extended Support.
- For other Java feature releases, Azul will make feature preview or community builds available on its download page for 6 months.
Note: Explore low cost production Support for Java 7 or Java 6 from Azul. Learn More
The table below details the class of support lifecycle for each existing and planned JDK release for Azul’s products, in addition to the expected availability of public updates and the lifecycle of Oracle’s commercial Java support offerings:
|End of Commercial Support|
|Java SE Release||Azul Lifecycle||Java SE GA Date||
End of Oracle Public Updates
Oracle Java SE
|Azul Zulu Enterprise||Azul Zulu Embedded||Azul Zing|
|Java 6||LTS||Dec 2006||Apr 2013||Dec 2018 (12 yrs)||Dec ’19 / Dec ’23* (13 yrs) / (17 yrs)*||Dec 2019 (13 yrs)||Apr 2017 (11 yrs)|
|Java 7||LTS||Jul 2011||Apr 2015||July 2022 (11 yrs)||July 2023 (12 yrs)||July 2023 (12 yrs)||Dec 2020 (10.5 yrs)|
|Java 8||LTS||Mar 2014||Jan 2019||Dec 2030 (16 yrs)||Dec 2030 (16 yrs)||Dec 2030 (16 yrs)||Dec 2030 (16 yrs)|
|Java 9||Preview||Sept 2017||Mar 2018||Mar 2018 (6 mo)||Community Only||Community Only||Community Only|
|Java 10||Preview||Mar 2018||Sept 2018||Sept 2018 (6 mo)||Community Only||Community Only||Community Only|
|Java 11||LTS||Sept 2018||Mar 2019||Sept 2026 (8 yrs)||Sept 2027 (9 yrs)||Sept 2027 (9 yrs)||Sept 2026 (8 yrs)|
|Java 12||Preview||Mar 2019||Sept 2019||Sept 2019 (6 mo)||Community Only||Community Only||Community Only|
|Java 13||MTS||Sept 2019||Mar 2020||
Mar 2020 (6 mo)
|Mar 2023 (3.5 yrs)||Community Only||Community Only|
|Java 14||Preview||Mar 2020||Sept 2020||
Sept 2020 (6 mo)
|Sept 2020 (6 mo)||Community Only||Community Only|
|Java 15||MTS||Sept 2020||Mar 2021||
Mar 2021 (6 mo)
|Mar 2023 (2.5 yrs)||Community Only||Community Only|
|Future Offerings (Est.)|
|Java 16||Preview||Mar 2021||Sept 2021||Sept 2021 (6 mo)||Sept 2021 (6 mo)||Community Only||Community Only|
|Java 17||LTS||Sept 2021||Mar 2022||Sept 2029 (8 yrs)||Sept 2030 (9 yrs)||Sept 2030 (9 yrs)||Sept 2029 (8 yrs)|
*Only for those customers who have purchased extended Java 6 support as part of their Zulu Enterprise support plan. Contact Azul for further information.
- Oracle information from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html.
- The dates shown above for the Azul products are for the end of the Production Support term. Add an additional 2 years for Extended Support.
- For Azul products or Java SE releases shown above which have not yet been released for general availability, Azul product availability and lifecycle designation are estimates and preliminary and subject to change.
- Commercial support for Azul products may be available for periods longer than shown above. Contact Azul Sales for more information. Azul Java 8 EOL is currently set to December 2030. Contact Azul to discuss options for extended support of specific Java SE releases by Azul products.
For further information visit https://www.azul.com/products/zulu-enterprise/
From time to time, Azul may offer “Feature Preview”, “Early Access” or “Not Supported” versions publicly or to select customers. These releases are explicitly not supported in any manner.